December 28, 2006

Your Urban Slang word for the day is....

That's right folks, I'm going to teach you Urban Slang. Why? Well it's because I think you need to know these things, especially if you are not particularly an Urban Youth. There is nothing more sad than a 40 something year old white woman or man, throwing Urban Slang into their vocabulary and not doing it properly. For example the term Ghetto.
This can be a noun or an adjective. Most people these days are using it as an adjective.
There are many definitions out there but this one fits the bill for me today:
Ghetto (adj.) jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike.
"A TV Guide duct-taped to a 4 foot stick?! That's one hella ghetto 'mote control!"
Yes my friends, just because your chino's have a small scuff on the knee, they are not ghetto. Now I can talk about ghetto because I have a car that we can call ghetto.
Let's talk about the night of Dec. 23, 2006. My daughter and I went to a local mall.
As we get out of the car I feel rain drops, this is not a problem because I always carry my handy dandy car umbrella. No this umbrella is not to carry in the car in case we need to shield ourselves from the rain, this is for my car. That's right. My driver's side window will not go up the last three inches. When it rains, I take my pretty little green and white striped umbrella and position it ever so nicely over the window. I slide the handle through the window and tie it into place with the seat belt. Purdy ain't it? Uh...found out you can't drive with it like that, it catches wind and goes sailing into traffic.
Okay so we now have our umbrella into place. As my daughter tries to shut her door, I hear a thud. Not a good sound. Her door will not latch. For 30 minutes, in the parking lot of the mall, in the rain, I try to get the door to close and latch. It's just this lovely metal against metal sound. Can I tell you frustrated I was?
We HAD to get to the store so, I jammed a rubber toy in the door jamb to turn the inside lights off and yes, I strapped that door shut with the seat belt. Gotta love those seat belts.
It turns out the hinge on the door broke. So now I cruise around with my back door strapped closed with the seat belt. That my friends is ghetto. Get it?
Now, ghetto fabulous is something different which we will discuss at a later date. Please use your Urban Slang wisely and properly. Don't make me have to come over there and...

No comments: